Handling of personally identifiable information
1. Names of the operator handling the personally identifiable information and the administrator for protecting the personally identifiable information
Name of the operator : Japan Science Foundation
Name of the administrator protecting personally identifiable information : Shinobu Yoshida, Executive Director
Tel : 03-3212-8484
Address : 2-1 Kitanomarukoen, Chiyoda-Ku, Tokyo 102-0091
2. Method for obtaining and purposes of use of personal information
Whenever any personal information is provided to JSF, the purpose of use shall be specified, a written notification of the required particulars, such as the purpose of use, shall submitted to the person directly, and consent from the person shall be confirmed. JSF will never use the obtained personally identifiable information for purposes other than as specified without the consent of the individual.
[Purpose of use of personally identifiable information]
(1) Personally identifiable information from clients
ⅰ. To respond to questions from individuals
ⅱ. To send various kinds of documents requested by individuals
ⅲ. To analyze the responses to questionnaires with regard to our various science and technology promotion activities
ⅳ. To provide guidance information on various kinds of events
ⅴ. To provide various kinds of services requested by individuals
ⅵ. To accept applications for participating in the activities of JSF
ⅶ. To provide information to individuals or communicate with participants in the various activities of JSF
(2) Personally identifiable information from customers
ⅰ. To totalize, register, manage, and process personally identifiable information on questionnaires
ⅱ. To register, manage, and process information on participants attending seminars and events
ⅲ. To operate the website and manage members
ⅳ. To be trusted to develop, operate, and maintain any other systems related to personally identifiable information
(3) Personally identifiable information related to employees and applicants for employment
ⅰ. To execute office administration, liaison, and inquiries related to general affairs, personnel, and welfare for employees, part-time personnel, applicants for employment, and retired employees
ⅰ. For any other purposes as required for the proper operation of JSF
ⅱ. To confirm, respond, and inform individuals in response to inquiries, consultations, and complaints to JSF
If an individual’s personally identifiable information will be used for purposes other than as specified, we shall explain the specific purpose of use, how the information will be used, and the range of use, and obtain consent in advance.
3. Voluntary provision of personally identifiable information
Although personally identifiable information is provided at the discretion of the individual, please understand the need for such information, which is to avoid any hindrance in accomplishing the purpose of use.
4. Outsourcing operations to handle personally identifiable information
JSF may outsource certain operations within the range necessary to accomplish the proper purposes of the operation. In this case, JSF shall select a subcontractor that satisfies a certain standard sufficient for protecting personally identifiable information through strict investigation of the prospective subcontractors. Furthermore, JSF shall provide appropriate measures through the contact, impose obligations to protect the personally identifiable information, and strictly manage the subcontractor by assigning appropriate supervisors.
5. Provision of personally identifiable information to a third party JSF shall manage the obtained personally identifiable information properly and shall not provide it to a third party (except for a company sharing information and subcontractors) without the consent of the person in advance. However, personally identifiable information may be provided to a third party only as required in the following cases and where necessary to provide the information.
[Purpose of use of personally identifiable information]
(1) When the following items are clearly described and the person’s consent has been obtained:
ⅰ. Names of the operator
ⅱ. Names and positions of the personally identifiable information administrator and the division and contact
ⅲ. Purpose of use
ⅳ. Items to be described clearly when the personally identifiable information may be provided to a third party
a. Purposes for providing information to a third party
b. Items of personally identifiable information to be provided
c. Measure or method for providing the information
d. Types and attributes of the party or organization to which the personally identifiable information will be provided
e. Whether there is any contract regarding the treatment of personally identifiable information
(2) When the personally identifiable information must be provided in accordance with the laws or regulations
(3) When the use of personally identifiable information is required to protect life, body, or property, and it is difficult to obtain the person’s consent
(4) When the use of personally identifiable information is required to improve public health or promote the sound development of children, and it is difficult to obtain the person’s consent
(5) When to JSF must cooperate with a government agency, a local public agency, or any other third parties authorized by government agencies in order to comply with the law or regulations, and obtaining the person’s consent may disrupt the execution of the operation
6. Safety management measures for personally identifiable information
JSF shall provide organizational structures such as education for managers and employees, assignment of administrators, physical antitheft measures, and technical measures to prevent illegal access by using a network in accordance with the law, government guidelines, other rules, and the private regulations of the Foundation, in order to protect the information from leakage, loss, or damage.
7. Procedures for responding to a request to disclose personally identifiable information
It is possible to request notification or disclosure of an individual’s personally identifiable information held by JSF; to correct, add, or delete the information; or to stop using the information, erase the information, or stop providing the information to a third party through the Personal Information Protection Consultant Desk of JSF.
However, note that requests are applicable only for personally identifiable information except for information that JSF is not authorized to disclose. If JSF cannot accept the request with any justifiable reason, JSF shall explain the circumstances accordingly.
At the time of the requests, personnel from the Personal Information Protection Consultant Desk may confirm that the request is made by the appropriate individual. Your kind cooperation is highly appreciated in that case.
For any other inquiries about the treatment of personally identifiable information, please contact the following personnel from the Personal Information Protection Consultant Desk by phone or in writing.
Established on April 1, 2005
Revised on January 29, 2019
[Contact for inquiries about personally identifiable information]
Personal Information Protection Consultant Desk
Japan Science Foundation
2-1, Kitanomarukoen, Chiyoda-Ku, Tokyo, 102-0091
[Authorized personal information protection body to which JSF belongs]
Name : Japan Information Processing Development Corporation
Contact for solving complaints : Roppongi First Building1-9-9, Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tokyo 106-0032
Phone : 03-5860-7565
Facsimile : 03-5573-0562
JSF is certified the Privacy Mark to be granted to enterprisers which conduct proper handling of the personal information.